Cory Finley to Write, Direct and Executive Produce
- MRC Television and T-Street have optioned Don Winslow’s best-selling debut novel “A Cool Breeze on the Underground,” for development. Rian Johnson, Ram Bergman and Nena Rodrigue will executive produce for T-Street. Winslow will also serve as executive producer alongside Shane Salerno and his The Story Factory. Cory Finley will write, direct, and executive produce.
- Don Winslow’s 1991 best-selling “A Cool Breeze on the Underground,” a five book series is celebrating its 30th anniversary since the initial book’s release. The books are being released in special new anniversary editions from Blackstone Publishing next year. Winslow's books have been in high demand and he has a number of other high profile projects in development, including his acclaimed border trilogy at FX, The Force at Fox/Disney with Matt Damon starring, James Mangold directing and Scott Frank writing and Satori at Warner Brothers with Leonardo DiCaprio starring and producing from a script by Salerno and Winslow.
- Winslow is repped by The Story Factory and CAA.
- Cory Finley most recently directed the Emmy®-winning Bad Education, which premiered to rave reviews at TIFF - his follow up to his critically acclaimed Sundance debut, Thoroughbreds. His next feature will be Landscape With Invisible Hands for MGM which Finley will write and direct with Plan B producing. Based on the novel by National Book Award winning author M.T. Anderson, the film is a dark, surreal comedy set in a deeply stratified, alien future.
- Finley is represented by CAA and Mosaic
- The Edgar Award nominated “A Cool Breeze on the Underground” is the first in a five-book series that follows investigator Neal Carey.
- The book series consists of the following titles:
- “A Cool Breeze on the Underground” (1991)
- “A Trail to Buddha’s Mirror” (1992)
- “Way Down on the High Lonely” (1993)
- “A Long Walk Up the Water Slide” (1994)
- “While Drowning in the Desert” (1996)
- T-Street was launched in 2019 by Rian Johnson and Ram Bergman, whose credits together include the Academy Award nominated Knives Out, which they are currently preparing the follow up to, which Johnson is writing and directing; as well as Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Looper; T-Street is currently producing “Three Body Problem” alongside David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Alexander Woo for Netflix and will produce “Poker Face,” starring Natasha Lyonne with MRC Television for Peacock. MRC is a minority investor in T-Street, with a first-look deal across film and television.
- T-Street is represented by CAA and attorney Stephen Clark.
MRC Television is a leading independent studio, which sources, finances, develops, and produces shows in partnership with the industry’s foremost creative artists. To date, the studio’s series have been nominated for 94 Emmy® Awards and 18 Golden Globe® Awards. The current slate includes “Ozark,” from Chris Mundy and starring Jason Bateman, Laura Linney and Julia Garner, on Netflix; “The Great,” from Tony McNamara, starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult, on Hulu; “The Shrink Next Door,” starring Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd and from director Michael Showalter and writer Georgia Pritchett with Apple TV+; “The Terminal List,” for which Chris Pratt stars and executive produces alongside director Antoine Fuqua and writer David DiGilio, with Amazon Studios; “Shining Girls,” starring Elisabeth Moss and produced with Appian Way and Love & Squalor Pictures for Apple TV+; and the recently announced Rian Johnson series “Poker Face,” with T-Street and starring Natasha Lyonne for Peacock. MRC Television’s previous series include “House of Cards” and “Counterpart,” among others. For additional information, visit www.mrcentertainment.com.